Co-operatives in Northern Uganda have invited Six Canadian Co-operative Association volunteers to help them measure their enterprises against international standards using CCA’s Development Ladder Assessment Tool (DLA). Follow Linda Archer’s exciting account of their 2-week mission working side-by-side with Ugandan co-operators as they plot the path forward for their co-ops and credit unions. The result is a snapshot of how the co-op is doing - and a set of benchmark scores for measuring progress as they grow their co-operative enterprise.

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Day 19 - Tim Hortons is everywhere!!



This day was pretty uneventful.  I got picked up and we drove for about 8 hours to Bwindi.  One interesting thing is that we stopped for coffee at a restaurant/shop that’s run by a group who have set up an orphanage and all the proceeds go to the orphanage.  You can imagine my surprise when the tea and coffee arrived in Tim Horton cups.  I’ve seen no other evidence of Tim Horton’s so I have no idea where they got the cups. 

We arrived at the Mahogany Springs Lodge.  It was breathtaking and the area is the most beautiful I’ve seen in Uganda. They raise tea here and so the hills are lush with green tea plants. The hotel is in a rain forest and this is after all the rainy season so you can just imagine that it’s a tropical paradise. The lodge is made up of different cabins and I’m in George, as that’s Cliff’s actual first name I don’t think I’ll forget where my room is.  After dinner when I return to the room they’ve turned the bed down and put a hot water bottle in the bed – how cozy is that.  It’s pouring rain so I can just imagine how wet the forest will be tomorrow. 
 
We’ve been told that we just keep trekking until we find the gorillas and it can take between 15 minutes and 5 hours depending where they’ve traveled to.  So, an early night is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment