Co-operatives in Northern Uganda have invited Six Canadian Co-operative Association volunteers to help them measure their enterprises against international standards using CCA’s Development Ladder Assessment Tool (DLA). Follow Linda Archer’s exciting account of their 2-week mission working side-by-side with Ugandan co-operators as they plot the path forward for their co-ops and credit unions. The result is a snapshot of how the co-op is doing - and a set of benchmark scores for measuring progress as they grow their co-operative enterprise.

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Day 12 - The art of appreciation

I’m sitting on my bed under my mosquito net writing this tonight.  I take a pill each morning to avoid malaria and so far there don’t appear to be mosquitoes in the room but the idea of sleeping under the net is sort of nice.  It’s a bit like sleeping in a tent made of a very light mesh and it’s kind of cozy.  There are definitely mosquitoes outside but with some spray they don’t bother me.  

That reminds me that I wanted to tell you about the program that the government has put in place to reduce the rate of malaria infections.  You see these lines of people on bicycles with what look a bit like an oxygen tanks a diver uses, strapped to their backs.  They have white helmets on and blue coveralls. They travel on the country roads and stop at every house they see and spray for mosquitoes.  Apparently it’s working and the rate of malaria has fallen dramatically since the program started.   

We’re off as usual today to finish the work with Surenet SACCO. One thing that we were told about before we left Canada is that the western concept of time is different than the Ugandan concept of time.  We tend to be very concerned about time and the Ugandans don’t have the same approach.  My partner Isaac refers to Uganda time; today was typical in that our 9 am meeting began closer to 10:30.  I want to be clear that this is in no way indicative of a lack of interest on the part of the participants – the whole concept of time is just different here.   In many ways it’s refreshing.   You just have to learn to be flexible and that’s not a bad thing at all.

Today I learned something new.  We were dealing with something and I was impressed with what they’d done so said ‘let’s have a round of applause’.  The Ugandans have a way of clapping where they clap twice, pause briefly, clap 3 time, pause and clap 3 times again and on the last clap instead of clapping they slide their right hand along their left hand and ‘send’ the clap towards you.  This means they’re acknowledging something that you’ve done.  If you’re the recipient of the clap you ‘receive’ the clap by ‘catching in with your hands’ and putting them on your chest.  You’d likely laugh if you could see me in my mosquito cocoon trying this out to decide how best to describe it in writing. Give it a try. 

We spent part of the afternoon finishing our report for the SACCO we just finished working with and preparing for the next one tomorrow.  We’re back on the country road we were on a few days ago and had to turn back.  So far no rain and if it lasts through the night I’m hopeful we’ll get through.

I’ve finally loaded the pictures on the computer and I’ve sorted them.  If I can get internet access tomorrow I’ll send some along. 
 
I’m snug in my bed and will sign off for tonight.  Pray that the rain stays away for a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment